One of the things I do to get through meetings at work is keep a countdown calendar on my phone. That countdown lists how many days, hours, and minutes it is until my next big trip. That way when a meeting takes longer than is productive, or I need something to focus on keeping me out of jail when I would really like to beat someone roundly about the head and shoulders, all I have to do is look at my timer. “Ah hah. If I avoid committing any crimes or going to jail for the next however many days, I get to do something fun.” I booked a cruise well over a year ago, and when I initially started my countdown timer it read over 400 days. A long timeframe, that. The timer presently reads 24 days, 2 hours, and 43 minutes until I board the ship, and today I get to make an important linguistic change– I get to start talking about a cruise later this month.
My wife, our two sons, and myself are booked on the Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas later this month. We are in a Grand Suite, which I trust shall be very much like the cabin we sailed on the Navigator of the Seas in 2015. It is, essentially, the size of a regular hotel room on land, and that gives my family plenty of space to be comfortable. Over the next few weeks, look for updates on the preparation process as we back our bags and get ready to depart. Things we have accomplished already:
- We checked in online. That will save time at the pier.
- We have printed out our cruise documents.
- We reserved a hotel room in Galveston for the night before.
- We reserved parking at Galveston Park n’ Cruise, conveniently located across the street.
- We made dinner reservations for the night before the cruise.
- We have reserved shored excursions in Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Because we have been to Roatan and Cozumel before and because we speak Spanish, we felt comfortable doing this through private vendors rather than through the cruise line.
Vacation… so… soon…